Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Meaty Mushroom Stroganoff


My dad used to make the best beef stroganoff.... now, I eat the same yummy flavors minus the rotting, dead flesh. Best of both worlds, really. And, wow, I am so excited I can hardly type.... Gardein is now being carried at Safeway. I'm taking back many of my negative comments about Safeway, due to this fact alone. I'm not usually a huge fan of fake meat products, largely due to the length of the words in the ingredients. However, I view fake meat some what like I view getting pee on my ski boots while peeing on my skis in the trees. It's fine once in awhile. With that said.... Gardein is awesome. Really. Tastes good. Has normal words in the ingredients. And is so friggin' EASY. I have always hated cutting chicken, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. So, I totally heart skipping it: and all the salmonella and e. coli and separate cutting boards and trash cans full of drippy chicken juice. And the fact that it has eyes. Okay, just try Gardein. And this recipe with it.

Sauce:
1 tbl olive oil
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tbl brown rice flour
2 cups veggie broth or bullion
2 tsp soy sauce
scant 1/4 cup rice milk
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
salt and pepper
1 package Gardein "Seasoned Bites"

Mushrooms:
2 tsp safflower oil or earth balance
4 cups sliced mushrooms
1 onion, thinly sliced

Noodles:
12-14 oz whole wheat rotini (use whatever you want)

Prepare the noodles. Keep warm with a little olive oil until everything else is ready.

Sauce- Heat the olive oil over medium, add the garlic and swirl until fragrant. Add the brown rice flour, whisk in and quickly add the broth and soy sauce. Bring to a boil and boil for a few minutes. Add the rice milk if it's too thick. Add more brown rice flour if too thin. Add the chicken bites and boil for 3-4 minutes. I used my stirring spoon to break the "bites" into small pieces. Cover and keep warm.

Mushrooms:
Heat oil over medium add mushrooms and onions. Saute'e until soft. About 8 minutes.

Do this all at once and you've got yourself a delicious quick meal. Enjoy!





2 comments: