Sunday, November 20, 2011

"All Things Pink" Cupcakes

These were originally going to be cookies, but I decided to go with cupcakes because the batter was thinner than I thought. They are actually more like a muffin, but cupcakes sound like more fun. I was on a mission to use up my beets, so they were they main influence in these pink treats. This recipe is the toaster oven size,  so double it if you plan on sharing. And, I , for some reason, always feel entitled to remind you that these measurements are not exact due to my lack of use of measuring utensils.

Cupcakes:
Dry-
1 cup gluten free flour mix (or other flour)
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Wet-
2 small beets, equal to about 1/3 cup beet puree (see note on roasting)
2 tbl ground flax seed
2 tbl coconut milk , or other milk
3-4 tbl olive oil
3-4 tbl canola oil
1 tsp molasses
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup liquid sweetener (raw honey, honey, brown rice syrup, agave- use less)
1/3 dry sweetener (raw sugar, evaporated cane juice sugar, whatever... not refined)


Preheat oven or toaster oven( :) ) to 350.  Mix dry ingredients well with a whisk or fork.

Puree  beats in food processor, scraping sides often. Add the remaining wet ingredients and blend well.

Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and fold until mixed. Don't over mix. Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way. Bake for... 15 minutes? Until they are settled, don't over bake. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting:
1/4 cup coconut cream
2 tablespoons earth balance
1/3 cup powdered sugar (more if you like)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon beat juice ( I got this from the bottom of my tupperware in which I had the beets)

Beat the coconut cream butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth again.

Garnish with coconut shreds and a raspberry.

Roasting Beets:
I scrubbed clean, chopped off the ends, wrapped in foil and baked at 425 for an hour.  I then used a sharp knife to easily peel the skin off.

peace and love,
lindsay


2 comments:

  1. So yummy, and I've been looking for a great vegan cupcake recipe that doesn't sub applesauce for eggs! Stealing this one for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love how you used beet juice to color the frosting. I need to do that with my red velvet cake recipe. I hate using those artificial colors. Thanks for sharing, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete