Saturday, February 27, 2010

And the grand total is....


I was trying to prove that eating "organic and healthy" doesn't have to be expensive; and now that I've done it for one month, I think I can say it is actually inexpensive. Well, inexpensive considering I would say I shopped 90% organic, 100% vegan, 75% local(meaning I didn't go to Reno, a very common practice in the Tahoe area) and 50% at a small, locally owned, health food store (New Moon). The total amount we spent this month on food was :
Groceries- $ 362
Eating Out- $ 60
Special Eating Out (ie my birthday and a using a gift certificate to Wolfdale's)- $70
Total: $492

I wanted to provide food for Jesse and me for one month for under $400. So, I was close, but I also don't really count the eating out. I know we could kick that habit if need be, but for now it's a social thing. Plus, eating vegan and sharing while eating out can make things more affordable.

This month wouldn't have been possible with out Jesse being totally on board. He's the only bf I know that will gladly eat only an apple and a salad all day until dinner. Not that we ate like that every day, but some days, it happened. Much thanks to him for supporting and encouraging me.

Also, it should be said, I do well under pressure. Well, most of the time. And in this situation, I did. I definitely ate and cooked healthier and cleaner than I ever have. I was viewing this as a challenge (competitive, much?) and I really can't say if I will continue to eat this "strictly". But, I probably will because 1) I feel good and 2) it's saving me money. So, that seems like a good idea.

I'd like to share some great advice I got from the "China Study" regarding switching to a more whole foods, plant based diet: DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MONEY. Now this may seem like the opposite of what I've been preaching thus far, but all I'm saying is, give yourself a break for the first month or two. You are making a decision that will absolutely save you money in the long run. I can't even to begin to calculate how much something like diabetes would cost you for a lifetime. And all those sick days you don't have to take? So, don't stress if things seem costly at first. Big picture, people. Plus, you'll be surprised at how much cheaper vegetables can be....

There you have it. Thanks for following along. And.... I'll probably keep posting ,so stay tuned!


2 comments:

  1. Well done! Hope you still post in the future. And invite me over to join in the preparations! : )

    ReplyDelete