Monday, February 1, 2010

Feb 1st- Tofu French toast

With this fabulous birthday month of mine upon us, I've decided to do an experiment and put my big ideals to the test.  I'll keep track of all expenses food related and also buy mostly vegan and organic items.  I say mostly vegan and organic because that's how I'm am... so that's how my experiment will go.  

I'll keep track of the items I buy and also share the recipes I make this month. I started this morning off with Tofu French toast. YUM. My mom made this when we had our six week vegan stint as a kid. It was pretty much the only item off our new, ultra healthy menu that I really LOVED.  It's so simple.

In a blender/ food processor:
1 cup tofu 
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (rice, soy, almond, coconut etc....)
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp other spices (nutmeg, cardamom, cloves)
6-8 slices whole grain bread


Preheat a cast iron pan (or the heaviest bottomed pan you have) on med-high. Pour the mixture into a shallow plate, place 3 slices of bread in the tofu mix and let soak for 1-2 minutes. Turn over, soak for a few seconds and then place in the lightly oiled pan. Cook on med-high for 3-5 minutes or until goldent brown, flip and cook for 1-3 minutes.Top with earth balance and maple syrup. 

1 comment:

  1. I think we should make this for Super Bowl Sunday brunch. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete