Friday, February 19, 2010

Three Way Sesame-Coated Tofu Strips with Spicy Broccoli and Chard


Stealing this calcium packed recipe straight from "Vegan Planet" by Robin Robertson, I love the name too! I added the chard, so I guess it's a tiny bit my recipe. Chard. Man, feel good about yourself if you eat chard, that stuff is intense. My mom is the chard queen; eats it for breakfast, just like Alicia Silverstone. Have a plan if you buy it, because otherwise you'll just let it sit there and you'll keep thinking you'll use it. Believe me. So, I had success with chard this time around. And this meal was killer:
2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
2-3 leaves of chard, chopped in 2 inch strips,
1/4 tahini (sesame paste)
2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
1/3 cup water or as needed
1 cup sesame seeds
One 12-16 ounce package extra-firm tofu (organic and local is much better, if you can find it),drained and cut into 1/2 inch wide by 1/2 inch thick strips
2 tablespoons peanut oil (I used safflower oil)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I 1 tsp)
2 teaspoons sesame oil

1. Chop brocolli and chard. Get the broccoli ready to be steamed.
2. In a small, shallow bowl, combine tahini, 1 tbl tamari, and enough water to make a smooth. Place sesame seeds on a plate, dredge tofu strips in tahini mixture and roll in sesame seeds.
3. Heat the 1 tbl oil in a large skillet over medium, fry the tofu until brown on all sides, about 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for 2-3 minutes. When tofu is done, transfer to a plate and cover
4. Using the same pan, heat the rest of the oil ,add the red pepper flakes, broccoli and chard and stir fry for a minute or two, until the chard is beginning to soften and is hot. Splash with remaining tamari. Serve broccoli over tofu strips and drizzle the sesame seed oil.

2 comments:

  1. We made this last night! mmmm!!!
    Chard is one of my most favorite things...my dad always grew a lot of it. ;) Scotty, who is not a huge fan of chard, REALLY liked the meal! Nice work G.
    loveS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! glad you liked it, same thing with Jesse and the chard.... yay for disguising it :) mwah!

    ReplyDelete