Thursday, February 4, 2010

Holy Hearty Chili


Chili. Whenever I think about making soup, I don't get that excited. Maybe it's because it seems like a last resort. But, I do love eating it, and I mostly love that there are always leftovers. My sister, Shauna, keeps telling me about her awesome lentil chili; so, last night I finally made some:
1 tbl oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 jalepenos, chopped (with the seeds)
3 small potatoes, skins on, cubed
5 cups water
1 1/2 cup dried lentils (rinsed and picked over)
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
3 tbls chili powder
1 tbl curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup quinoa
2 cups cooked beans (I used pintos)
Garnish:
avocado, green onion, srirachi sauce
Heat a large pot over medium heat, add oil, onions, carrots and celery. Cover and cook until they begin to soften (5-8 minutes). Add garlic, jalepenos and potatoes. Cook for a few more minutes. Add water, lentils, diced tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Add quinoa, simmer another 20 minutes. Add beans and adjust seasoning. Top with sliced avocado, green onion, and hot sauce, if you like. Oh, and cornbread :)

No comments:

Post a Comment