Tuesday, February 2, 2010

grocery shopping


I love grocery shopping. I do. Maybe it's because I start fantasizing about all the wonderful food I'm going to make, or maybe it's because I like to see, touch, talk about, taste and hang out with food more than anything else on this planet. I'm not a quick shopper, in fact I like to take my time. I rarely make lists, but when I do I stick to them. Today I went to New Moon Natural Foods in Tahoe City. I heart New Moon. The staff is always friendly and extremely knowledgeable. Their produce is 100% organic and local. And today I had a list:
pecans, almonds, walnuts,
nutritional yeast
carrots,celery, zucchini, kale, cucumber
quinoa
diced tomatoes
tofu
agave nectar
garbanzo beans

I accomplished my list, minus the agave nectar (they were out) and the dried garbanzo beans (not sure if they carry them). My total came to $41.13. I felt good about that, considering $15 went to the nuts, which are expensive. I usually buy nuts about once a month, so we'll see how long those last.

Yesterday I went to Safeway and bought:
broccoli,
bananas
rice milk
tofu
onions
spinach
heirloom tomatoes

which came to $19.31. My goal is to spend $100 a week or less for both Jesse and I to eat. Week one is off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment