Saturday, February 6, 2010

PHO


Oh man, I am OBSESSED with Pho(a vietnamese noodle soup). My friend Shawna shares the same addiction, so we talk about and eat Pho as much as possible. Pho, in Reno, by Target is my favorite place to eat out. I've gotten into the habit of doubling the broth when I make it, so that I can eat pho for days and days. I use this recipe from elliemay.com for the broth. When buying spices (ie the star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves), it's definitely worth it to buy in bulk if possible. Both the New Moon in Tahoe City and Truckee have bulk spice sections. Here's what I put in the soup:

cooked rice noodles
bok choy
broccoli
carrots
mushrooms (sometimes)
fried tofu
green onions
whole cilantro and basil leaves
bean sprouts
lime wedges
sriachi

To make the fried tofu, first press the tofu for up to an hour. I place the tofu between two small plates and put something heavy on the top plate. Even if you only have 10 minutes, it helps. Slice the tofu into 1/8-1/4 inch rectangles or triangles, roll in cornstarch and fry in earth balance (or other butter alternative) until VERY crispy. It usually takes me 15-20 minutes.


Chop vegetables and steam. Garnish soup with the lime, bean sprouts, green onions, cilantro and basil. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I really love your blogs, Lindsay. Dad does too because I feel creative and look forward to fixing dinner with new ideas from you. We liked Shauna's Lentil chili and just added salsa for condiments. I'll try PHO tonight. The shopping stream is awesome. Makes it more fun.

    ReplyDelete