Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sweet Potato Enchiladas


My friend Meggie just sent me some knives for my birthday, SWEET! And as I was thinking of her I thought of these amazing potato and kale enchiladas we made over christmas.  But then I realized I had neither kale nor the chilis I needed for that recipe, so I branched out and tried a similar recipe, behold,
 Sweet Potato Enchiladas
2 large sweet potatoes, washed and diced  (I don't peel, but you can)
1 tbl safflower oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 fresh hot chili, minced (I went for serranos, but it was spicy)
2 cups pinto beans (black would work too)
2 cups diced tomatoes
1-2 tbl chili powder
1/8 cup nutritional yeast
salt and pepper 
2 cups fresh salsa or your favorite (my recipe below)
10-12 corn tortillas
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 chopped fresh cilantro 
avocado slices
This is my take on a recipe I found in Vegan Planet, by Robin Robertson. It was delicious! 
1. Preheat oven to 400, bake sweet potatoes (single layer) in a lightly oiled baking pan for 20 minutes. set aside.
2. Lower oven to 350. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add garlic and serranos, cook, stirring until fragrant (30 seconds).  Add beans, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, chili powder, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes
3. Spread a thin layer of salsa in a lightly oiled baking dish
4. Heat corn tortillas over the burner (gas or electric both work) and stuff with filling mixture. Place seem side down in baking and repeat until almost all filing is used. Spread the remaining filling and salsa over the top of enchiladas.
5. Bake 20-30 minutes, garnish with cilantro, avocado and onion.

Fresh Salsa
2-3 tomatoes, diced
1/2 chili, minced
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/8 cup chopped cilantro
salt
lime or lemon (or neither sometimes)

No comments:

Post a Comment