Saturday, February 13, 2010

Miso Tofu Scramble


I've been under the weather for the last two days. I detest being sick. Really, it's probably my pride that makes a cold twice as bad. I hate calling in sick to work like I did today, but really, I need to chill out and take a day off. So today I did. And as the morning goes on and I'm gaining energy, I realize I need food. So, what do I do in a pinch? Tofu frickin scramble. I love this meal; it's so comforting and simple and filling. Today, I was craving miso (a mug of miso is a healthy, filling, cheap and easy snack by the way), but wanted more than soup, so I went for it and tried Miso Tofu Scramble. Here it is:
2 tsp safflower oil, or whatever you have
1/4 onion, diced
10-14oz tofu, pressed (even if just in between your hands over the sink)
1 zucchini, diced
2 carrots, shredded
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup pinto beans (or black)
1- 1 1/2 tablespoon miso paste (organic if possible)
1/2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp water
2 tsp gomashio (see recipe below)
green onion, cilantro, basil for garnish

1. Heat a medium (cast iron :0) skillet over medium high
2. Add onions, saute til they begin to soften
3. Add tofu. Leave on medium high for 5-10 minutes, until the tofu has turned light brown, then stir and let sit again for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add zucchini and carrots, stir fry for 3-5 minutes.
5. Add the beans, chopping them up a little with the spatula,
6. Mix the water, miso paste and tamari or soy sauce, stir in well
7. Garnish with green onion, cilantro, basil and gomashio

Gomashio:
1/2 cup toasted sesames (dry roast in a pan until light brown, or in an oven safe dish in a toaster oven
1/2 tsp salt
Blend in food processor
This will safe for months in an air tight container in the fridge. Some people think this is similar to parmesan cheese, I would be one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment